COVID PROTOCOLS REP RETURN TO PLAY
Return To Play Protocols In Effect As of October 6th, 2020 This document will lay out current GBA procedures and protocols for safe return to programming amidst the COVID-19 situation in Ontario. All information contained here is subject to change based on direction from provincial, federal and health directives in Canada. Grimsby Basketball Association will be following all of the applicable guidelines outlined by the government of Ontario.
- No more than 25 persons, staff included, will be allowed to gather at a time in the eligible space.
- Prior to the session beginning, the protocol laid out and provided to each coach will provide athletes with clear guidelines of how to operate within the facility, how to maintain space while training, and be shown their designated space for drill work and water breaks. Instructors will cover proper hand hygiene in the introduction.
- Athletes will enter and exit through separate doors where applicable, minimizing contact. This has been stated in the document provided by the facility and addressed to the participants by coaches.
- Cohorts will be identified prior to the start of the session, and if possible, be instructed to enter/exit through alternate doors from each other throughout the duration of the programming.
- Entrance to the facility will be monitored by GBA coach.
- Parent spectators will not be allowed in the facility.
- Upon entrance and before exiting, athletes will be instructed to sanitize or wash their hands.
- Athletes will maintain a 2m distance from each other during all entry, exit and programming.
- Athletes will be allowed to use washrooms one at a time.
- Cohorts will be instructed to use separate washrooms if applicable at the facility.
- Cohorts will have a designated water break area, separate from other cohorts.
- Only water will be permitted. No food will be permitted.
- During all water breaks, physical distancing of 2m will be enforced.
- Water fountains will only be used if they have a bottle filler, the regular spout will not be permitted for use by athletes or coaches.
- All waste, including recycling will be promptly removed from the gym space into the proper receptacles at the end of training.
COVID-19 Required Screening Questions
- All staff and athletes will complete a self-declaration waiver stating they are not feeling well or experiencing sickness symptoms or a raised temperature. This questionnaire has been provided by the Ontario Ministry of Health. This waiver will be completed before arrival of each session and the coach informed via email of the results.
- Any athlete suspected of being unwell will not be permitted to attend GBA programming.
- Parents will be instructed to complete a temperature check prior to each session to include that in their responses of the Screening Questions to the coach. Coaches will complete their own temperature check daily.
- Coaches will monitor and check for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and, if necessary, follow the infection control and reporting outline later in this document.
Non-essential visitors will not be permitted inside the gym. No parents/spectators will be allowed inside the facility.
- Athletes will bring their own basketball and water bottle. Sharing will not be permitted.
- Each athlete will have a separate, designated space for water breaks and to leave their bottles, bags and other paraphernalia.
- All sessions will have a minimum 15 minute interval between to allow for cleaning and sanitization of equipment, if required, benches and chairs as required.
GBA programming will follow the guidelines as set out by the Ministry of Health and by the GBA’s governing body, the Ontario Basketball Association. The GBA will also follow the guidelines as set out by any facility that they use for programming.
Coaches will use completely restructured programming that includes:
- Eliminating all physical contact on the court (including 1V1, 2V2 etc , scrimmages and games)
Infection Control & Reporting
If a program participant begins to experience symptoms of COVID-19 while attending programming, staff will employ the follow protocols:
- Symptomatic participants will be immediately isolated in a supervised and safe area until their parent/guardian can retrieve them.
- 2 metre distance from the symptomatic participant will be maintained at all times by staff and athletes.
- The local public health unit will be contacted and notified of a potential case, and instructions from their end will be followed.
- The symptomatic participant as well as any staff supervisors will wear face masks (unless not tolerated), eye protection (shield/goggles), and utilize proper hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene (tissues/tissue disposal).
- A thorough inventory of coaches and participants who were close to the symptomatic athlete will be taken, those applicable will be further cohorted and follow all further instruction from the local public health unit in regards to testing and control.
- All coaches, athletes and parents will be notified of a potential COVID-19 case and given instructions for testing and reporting.
- If a COVID-19 case is found, all participants and coaches will be excluded from any future programming until a 14 day quarantine period has been observed - after this period a negative COVID-19 test result will be mandatory before return to programming.
- Please note that the protocols and guidelines outlined by Grimsby Basketball Association above is not an exhaustive list and is subject to change. The GBA will be following all updated guidelines outlined by the government of Ontario and local public health units.